Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Savas of Pittsburgh
His Grace Bishop Sava of Troas was born on June 11, 1957, in Gary, Indiana. He is the second of six children of Skevofylax and Stamatia Zembillas, of Kalymnian and Cypriot descent. After graduating in 1979 with a BA degree in Philosophy and English literature from Colby College in Waterville, Maine, he worked for a year as a manager of a coffee company in Cambridge, Massachusetts, before leaving for Europe in 1981 to test his monastic vocation. He spent all of that year in various monastic communities in Greece and England, including several on the Holy Mountain of Athos, Patmos and Kalymnos. He returned to America in 1982 and was accepted in the Master of Divinity program at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, Massachusetts. During his three years at the Seminary, he served as assistant to the late Savas J. Savas, Professor of Byzantine Music, and studied the Book of Psalms under the then Bishop of Vresthena, Demetrios Trakatellis, the future Archbishop of America. After graduating from the Seminary with highest honors in May 1985, Savas was appointed pastoral assistant to Rev. Constantine Mitsos of Holy Trinity/Saint Nicholas Church in Cincinnati, Ohio. Two year later, he left to begin a program of doctoral studies at Pembroke College, University of Oxford, England. Under the academic supervision of Bishop Kallistos Ware, renowned author of The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way and translator of The Philokalia, Savas spent the next seven years studying and translating the correspondence of Saints Barsanuphios the Great and John the Prophet, two monks of early sixth-century Gaza who left behind an enormous archive of invaluable and influential letters of spiritual direction in response to questions asked by hundreds of petitioners. While at Oxford, he served for two years as assistant to the Director of the Saint Theosevia Centre for the Study of Christian Spirituality, and later for three years as the Warden (Director) of the House of Saint Gregory and Saint Macrina, a house of residence, retreat- and conference center founded by the late Dr. Nicolas Zernov and affiliated with the Anglican and Orthodox Society of Saint Alban and Saint Sergius. In late 1992, he returned briefly to his home parish of Saints Constantine and Helen Cathedral in Merrillville, Indiana, where he was ordained to the Holy Diaconate by then-Bishop Iakovos of Chicago on November 21, the Feast of the Entry of the Holy Theotokos into the Temple. He returned to England, where he served as Deacon to Bishop Kallistos until his return to the States at the end of 1994. Deacon Savas was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Bishop Iakovos of Chicago on January 8, 1995, in Merrillville, Indiana, and returned to the Seminary later that month. There, he held the position of Scholar-in-Residence until his assignment in September 1995 as Proistamenos of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Kalamazoo, Michigan. In November 1996, Father Savas was elevated to the rank of Archimandrite at the Monastery of Saint Gregory Palamas in Hayesville, Ohio, by Metropolitan Maximos of Aenos, Presiding Hierarch of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, then locum tenens of the Diocese of Detroit. In September 1997, Archbishop Spyridon of America assigned Archimandrite Savas to Saint Demetrios Church in Merrick, Long Island. In December 1999, shortly after his enthronement, His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios appointed Archimandrite Savas as Chancellor of the Archdiocese.
On the 11 December 2001 he was unanimously elected by the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople auxiliary bishop of the Archbishop of America with the high title of "Bishop of Troas". The new Bishop carries on most of his former duties. He was ordained on February 2nd 2002.
Feastday: 5 December
5201 Ellsworth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA. 15232.
1. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Akron, (44304). 129 South Union Street
2. Archangel Michael, Campbell, (44405). 401 Twelfth Street
3. Holy Trinity Canton, (44709). 4705 Fairhaven Avenue, N.W.
4. St Charalambos Church Canton, (44709). 251 25th Street, N.W.
5. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Cleveland, (44113). 2187 West 14th Street
6. St John of Crostand, Cleveland, (44144). 4119 Ridge Road
7. Sts Constantine and Helen, Cleveland Heights, (44118). 3352 Mayfield Road
8. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Columbus, (43215). 555 North High Street
9. St Nicholas, Lorain, (44053). 2000 Tower Boulevard
10. Sts Constantine and Helen Mansfield, (44903). 265 West 3rd Street
11. Zoodochos Pigi (Life-giving Fount), Martins Ferry, (43935). 314-316 North Fifth Street
12. St George, Massillon, (44648). P.O. Box 438
13. St Paul, North Royalton, (44133). 4548 Wallings Road
14. St Dimitrios, Rocky River, (44116). 22909 Center Ridge Road
15. Holy Trinity Steubenville, (43952). 300 South 4th Street Box 788
16. St Dimitrios, Warren, (44481). 429 High Street, Ν.Ε., Ρ.Ο. Box 4214
17. St John, Youngstown, (44512). 4955 Glenwood Avenue
18. St Nicholas, Youngstown, (44503). 220 North Walnut Street
19. Dormition of the Theotokos Aliquippa, (15001). 2111 Davidson Street
20. Holy Trinity Altoona, (16601). 1433 Thirteenth Avenue
21. Holy Trinity Ambridge, (15003). 2930 Beaver Road
22. St Nicholas, Bethlehem, (18018). 1607 W. Union Blvd
23. Holy Trinity Camp Hill, (17011). 1000 Yverdon Drive
24. All Saints, Canonsburg, PA (15317). 601 West McMurray Road
25. St Anthony, Clairton, (15025). 424 Miller Road, Box 31
26. Meeting of the Lord, East Pittsburgh, (15112). 1672 Electric Avenue, Box J.
27. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Easton, (18042). 20th and Hay Terrace
28. Dormition of the Theotokos Church Erie, (16505). 4376 West Lake Road
29. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Farrell, (16121). 1007 Washington Street
30. Dormition of the Theotokos Johnstown, (15901). 435 Somerset Street
31. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Lancaster, (17603). 64 Hershey Avenue
32. Annunciation of the Theotokos, McKeesport, (15131).1128 Summit Street
33. St Spyridon, Monessen, (15062). Reeves Avenue Box 327
34. St George New Castle, (16105). 315 West Englewood Avenue
35. Annunciation of the Theotokos, New Kensington, (15068). 805 Walnut Street, PO Box 526
36. Dormition of the Theotokos Oakmont, PA (15139). 12 Washington Avenue
37. Holy Cross, Church Pittsburgh, (15228). 123 Gilkeson Road
38. Holy Trinity Pittsburgh, (15212). 302 West North Avenue
39. St Nicholas, Pittsburgh, (15213). 419 S. Dithridge Street
40. St Matthew, Reading, (19601). North Fifth and Elm Street
41. Sts Constantine and Helen, Reading, (19611). 1001 Wyomissing Blvd.
42. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Scranton, (18509). 505 North Washington Avenue
43. Holy Cross, Stroudsburg, (18360). 135 Stokes Avenue
44. Sts Constantine and Helen Vandergrift, (15690). 167 Lincoln Avenue
45. Annunciation of the Theotokos, Wilkes-Barre, (18702). 32 East Ross Street
46. Annunciation of the Theotokos, York, (17403). 2500 Pine Grove Road
47. St John, Charleston, (25304). 3512 MacCorkle Avenue
48. St Spyridon, Clarksburg, (26302). 1010 Facto¬ry Street, P.O. Box 4176
49. St George, Huntington, (25727). 701 11th Avenue, P.O. Box 2822
50. Dormition of the Theotokos Morgantown, (26505). 447 Spruce Street
51. All Saints, Weirton, (26062). 3528 West Street, P.O. Box 128
52. St John the Theologian, Wheeling, (26003). 2215 Charline Street
1. Nativity of the Theotokos, Saxonburg, Pennsylvania (16056). 121 Saint Elias Lane
2. Holy Protection (Skepi), Weatherly Pennsylvania (18255). RR2 Box 64-G
3. St Mary of Egypt, Cleveland, Ohio (44107). P.O. Box 771025
4. St Theodore, Galion, Ohio (44833). 449 Portland Way S.
5. St Gregory Palamas, Perrysville, Ohio (44864). 934 County Rd 2256
6. Entrance of the Theotokos to the Temple, Hayesville, Ohio (44838). P.O.Box 25